Awkward Phrasing

When random thoughts need to be written down in a manner that makes you have to read it more than once to understand what exactly is being said. Also known as poor writing.

7/05/2006

Bombs Bursting In Air.


Great fireworks display after the game last night. I look forward to the day when our fireworks technology reaches the point where we can stuff advertisements in the explosion. The smiley faces are only the first step. It’s like a pilot program to test our ability to manipulate the resultant light show.

*****************

Today’s a short post just to get in my requirement. I am technically composing this before midnight, so it is still Wednesday. That being said, my Inner Muse didn’t really bring her A-game today. As a result, you are forced to read a slapdash posting. I might lose the few stranger visitors because of it, and for the lack of exciting content today, I do apologize, Stranger Visitor.

*****************

Music suggestions for today: go back a year and listen to Razorlight’s album, Up All Night. Up All Night, Golden Touch and Stumble and Fall are mighty fine compositions.

*****************

I have decided to torture myself by posting my first college screenplay through a series of posts. I just thought it might be fun to do. Please, make fun of it in the comments section below.

"THINE OWN SELF"

FADE IN:

EXT. SKYLINE - DAY

A grand, sweeping shot of the Chicago skyline, complete
with skyscrapers and other office buildings. Of particular focus is a plain, rectangular-shaped office building.

EXT. CHAMBERLAIN BUILDING - DAY

Attached to the outside of the building is the window washer's platform. Seated on it is PAUL HENSEN, age 24. He is a rather unremarkable person in appearance. He is attractive, but does not stand out, specifically. He is wearing a dress shirt and tie with slacks--he is clearly an office fellow.

Paul sits and eats his lunch, observing the view.

SANDRA HOLT, 26, appears in the window behind Paul.

SANDRA
Are you out here again?

She climbs out on the scaffolding with him.

PAUL
I didn't feel like eating with
everybody else.

SANDRA
What else is new?

PAUL
Juice box?

He starts to reach into his lunch pail.

SANDRA
No, that's okay.
(a beat)
You okay? You seem a little down today.

PAUL
I know. I know.
(long pause; sighs, then)
Sandra, what am I doing with my life?

SANDRA
You're working... spending some Friday
nights with your best friend--me--and
my sexy husband. If that's not a heck
of a life, then I don't know what is.



PAUL
(smiles)
Don't I come over enough, though?

SANDRA
One could make that argument.
(a beat)
Really, Paul, what's wrong? You thinking
about your mom again?

PAUL
Maybe. Yeah. A little.

He pulls a of a graceful woman—Paul's mother—out of his wallet. Of note is a crucifix she wears around her neck.

PAUL
I went to her grave yesterday. You know,
flowers and the whole bit. I just got
real sad, that's all. I don't know what
it was. I just got sad all of a sudden.
I could hear her... talking to me, you know?

SANDRA
Telling you how handsome you are, no doubt.

PAUL
(sheepish grin)
Yeah. She was always doing that.

SANDRA
You're lonely, aren't you? You miss having
someone around all the time.

PAUL
I'm with you practically all the time.

SANDRA
You know what I mean. Your mom was a
significant person in your life--she still
is--but, now she's not here, and you're
looking for someone to fill that void.

PAUL
Listen to Dr. Freud here.

SANDRA
My mom always said I should have become
a psychiatrist instead of an accountant.
I stand by my decision.

PAUL
Well, what should I do, Doctor?


SANDRA
Umm... well... why not fill that void?

PAUL
What, you mean, like a date?

SANDRA
Yeah. That sounds like something a twenty-
four year old would do.

PAUL
Well, I have been talking to that new
temp--you know, Rachel? I could ask
her out.

SANDRA
Ask her out, then. I'm sure she'd want
to spend an evening with you. Go for it.
(rises; holds out hand)
Now, let's finish that audit.

She pulls him up. They climb back into the building together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home