Awkward Phrasing

When random thoughts need to be written down in a manner that makes you have to read it more than once to understand what exactly is being said. Also known as poor writing.

2/06/2006

New Guy's New Job.

Ah, the fly in the ointment. The chink in the armor. The gray clouds obscuring the silver lining. Cubic zirconia. It's tough when you plan for something, only to arrive at your new job and get something completely different.

Not that I didn't see it coming, mind you, but my new job has none of the luster, excitement or promise like the job I actually interviewed for a week ago. P.A. jobs are what they are. To be one on a major motion picture would be something I've never done and in line with the career path I want to be on. Granted, writer's write, and to be a professional writer I don't need to have an entertainment job, but I get so juiced around a production that if I can't be in a writer's room, then I should definitely aim for the next attainable position -- somewhere on the production side.

But now I'm in a bit of a bind, as I am not going to be a production assistant but, instead, a producer's assistant. No errand runs or coffee brewing for the stars. Instead, it's reading horrible, atrocious, practically non-language scripts, answer phones and set up conference calls for meetings about scripts that maybe might someday get made into movies.

And I get to watch a dog. Not walk him. Just watch him because he's new from the pound. Still, a paid step-up from picking up dry cleaning.

My dilemma revolves around the following question: Do I try to get out of this?

The production coordinator who hired me is currently under the impression that, in two weeks' time, I will be hers to command. Reality is, one of the producers (to whom I am incredibly indebted for pushing the production coordinator to give me the job in the first place) will basically hijack me from the production. I presume that is the condition of my hire for the producer but, no offense to him or anyone in their great office, I want to be with the production staff.

I don't have a professional mentor to consult in this matter and the last thing I want is to burn bridges.

The pros are huge: relative job security; a fucking paycheck; a super-relaxed working environment; behind-the-scenes of feature filmmaking.

The cons: Not working on a production; not being free to move from the film to another production (in TV); further time spent in film when I want TV; lower pay; longer hours; ultimately, less-fulfilling work, since I will be, for all intents and purposes, the Donna Moss to someone else's Josh Lyman.

I don't have a solid plan because my situation is tenuous. I can't get someone to take my place in the office (because then they'd have to work for free) and I can't refuse to work or even quit because I really do need the work... I could always suck it up for four months, until the movie's over, and see what happens.

If I sound like a spoiled brat not getting his way, it's because I am beginning to feel like I need forward momentum in my life. I'm a stagnant 25-year old, and settling seems like a dangerous precedent to set for myself. Answering phones and reading scripts doesn't quite have the draw of a film set's hectic pace.

So, to those who might see this, a penny for your thoughts? I am in need of the wisdom of others, since I have already reached the threshold of my experience.

****
Dateline: 2 hours later.

Having had time to consider my post, I would like to comment and say that this was nothing more than a venting exercise. It would be stupid of me to not see this as an equally strong opportunity to advance up the chain. It's not exactly what I thought it would be, but very little in life ever is (unless you actually saw Into the Blue -- you just knew that one was gonna blow hard).

So, I rescind the request for advice. But, as always, thoughtful or flat-out hilarious comments are appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home